Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Around the world and back again...sort of

My life has come full circle. Seattle to Cairo, Beirut, Berlin, Paris, Geneva, Baitz, Johannesburg, back to Seattle. Coming back, though not for long, has its advantages. You can measure your own progress, like a yard stick, against the changes you've seen in the world. Like a mirror on the surface of a pond, you can see those changes reflected in yourself. Traffic is worse, but I'm more aware of the societal implications, tent cities abound, but I understand the context and how I can do my part to help, my parents are older, but so am I. 

Typically, returning to Seattle feels like arriving on the precipice of a plateau.  Or rather, the flat basin of a deep bowl. I take a step down from my life to stagnate. But not this time. This time I come back in celebration. I have finally accomplished the only thing there ever was on my bucket list: becoming a published author. My first book, Population, is a post-apocalyptic, science fiction, romantic, action adventure fest that was released in April 2015 by an independent press, Vantage Point Books. Vantage Point Books and its parent company, NubiTales LLC, specialize in the promotion of authors and characters of color (#weneeddiversebooks!). Vantage Point Books is also based in Seattle. 

Full circle. 

But it's not a circle is it? Because I'm not in a bowl, not on a plateau, even though I'm in Seattle. I'm continuing my life and for the first time in possibly forever, my own hometown fits into it as a positive force rather than a weight to hold me down. No, I'm not traveling a circle. I'm traveling a road. A road to nowhere and everywhere. A road through a Washington forest, through the South African sun, through a post-apocalyptic landscape. A road that never ends even as it is reborn as I am reborn again and again and again. 

Sincerely, 
A thousand lifetimes in one

For more information on my book see my website: www.booksbyelizabeth.com, or purchase Population directly on Amazon UK or Amazon US.

No comments:

Post a Comment